Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Come Together

So I think it's about that time for another post. Hopefully the past posts has gotten some interest, but I think we need to see where we're at and enough of where we're from.

IMAG0043

So I've been MIG welding for a short time and I lack a lot of experience. My welds can definitely use some work, but anyway here's the specs. I'm using a Toyota Starion intercooler, pretty decent sized for the turbo setup I'm running. I had to get the end takes modified to fit better and to operate better performance-wise. The cold side has a 2" inlet whereas the hot side has a 2.5" outlet. Since the intercooler was aluminum, I couldn't weld it. So I took it to PartShopMax right off Miralani Rd. This is by far one of the most reputable shops that I know of and highly recommend them for any fabrication, from body work to engine work. Enough of the essay.

IMAG0045

Heres a birds eye view of things going on under the hood. I'm using exhaust piping rather than aluminum piping simply because I lack the proper equipment to weld aluminum and I had a ton of extra 2.5" piping. I was able to modify the stock 280ZX Turbo J-Pipe to be used as the cold-side piping to my intercooler.

IMAG0046

So a little background on this motor. It's from a 1983 Nissan 280ZX Turbo. This car originally lacks an intercooler and to my understanding runs off of 7 PSI. The motor is rated to have around 180-200 ish HP. It's not much, especially into a car weighing close to 3,000 lbs, but if you add a Starion intercooler, customized piping, 240sx 60mm throttle body, customized downpipe, tial 50mm BOV, and a good-driver mod :) into a body weighing 2100 lbs. then you do the math. It isn't insane mods but it's definitely enough for the present time.

IMAG0027

A little background on the car. It's currently using the close-ratio 5 speed from a late model 280zx, welded R200 diff (done by Part Shop Maxx), MSA Front and rear sway bars, 7/8 " in the front and 1 1/4" on the rear (I think?), Tokico Illumina Shocks with MSA lowering springs (I'm planning on sectioning the struts, but we'll save that for another post). Anyway this is most of the stuff that's done to the car, but there's just way too much to name off the top of my head.

l_7ba5d5a624526b55f9a57ca1b13a419f

So this is all I got right now until I take more pictures. For the most part, I haven't gotten shots of everything yet, so there's more to come. The car will definitely be running before the end of this month so I'll be sure to get footage. By the way, if there's anything in particular you have questions about or any parts you want me to go over please let me know. Thank you all for reading and stay tuned!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment